—Off his triple-double performance against Creighton last Saturday, UE senior Troy Taylor earned Missouri Valley Conference Player of the Week honors, the league announced today. Taylor tallied 10 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists while becoming the second UE player to notch a triple-double.
—Just four leagues — the Big East, Big Ten, Mountain West and MVC — have multiple teams already with 12 wins. Both Creighton and Wichita State out of the MVC are 12-1 after the first round of conference games. The MVC is ranked eighth as a conference in the Ratings Percentage Index.
—UE senior Colt Ryan (1,756 points) and Creighton junior Doug McDermott (1,688 points) are both among the top 10 active scorers in the country. Ryan is seventh and McDermott 10th. Lehigh’s C.J. McCollum tops the list with 2,357 points all time. McDermott is the only third-year player on it.
1. Creighton (12-1, 1-0): The Bluejays used their win over UE to climb to 11th in the coaches poll — their highest mark this season — and 16th in The Associated Press poll. Creighton has now won six straight since its defeat to Boise State, which shot 60 percent against the Bluejays to get that victory.
2. Wichita State (12-1, 1-0): Despite injuries that kept leading scorer/rebounder, center Carl Hall, as well as regular contributors Evan Wessel and Ron Baker out, the Shockers posted a convincing win Sunday over Northern Iowa. They’re receiving votes in national polls but the only 12-win team not ranked.
3. Bradley (9-4, 1-0): The Braves snapped a two-game losing streak with a double-digit win over Drake. Bradley doesn’t light up the stat sheet but does turn the ball over just 12 times a game and have six players averaging at least 7.7 points.
4. Indiana State (8-4, 1-0): The Sycamores, off eye-opening wins over Mississipi and Miami in the Diamond Head Classic, posted another by knocking off Illinois State on Sunday. Indiana State has now won four of its last five.
5. Missouri State (3-10, 1-0): Heading into Wednesday’s game against UE at the Ford Center, the Bears opened conference play with a win over Southern Illinois — also their first victory this season over a Division I opponent.
6. Illinois State (9-4, 0-1): Life on the road in MVC play is tough. The Redbirds learned that Sunday at Indiana State when the Sycamores snapped a four-game winning streak. Illinois State next hosts top-picked Creighton.
7. Southern Illinois (7-5, 0-1): Coach Barry Hinson’s return to former employer Missouri State — funny how scheduling worked out like that — ended with the Salukis’ second straight loss. Forward Dantiel Daniels, who averages 10.8 points per game, injured his ankle in the game and is expected to miss time.
8. Northern Iowa (7-6, 0-1): The Panthers looked lifeless Sunday against an injury-ridden Wichita State team, going without a scorer in double figures in a 66-41 loss.
T8. Evansville (7-6, 0-1): UE put the toughest part of the league schedule — playing in front of 18,000-plus on the road at Creighton — behind itself already. The Ace still have yet to be one of five teams on the schedule either ranked or receiving votes in polls.
10. Drake (6-6, 0-1): The Bulldogs had just put together back-to-back wins for the first time all season before dropping their MVC opener at Bradley.